Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Week 4

I learned about RSS feeds and set up a Bloglines.newsreader account for a number of news-related feeds. Then I looked at MERLIN and found some library-related blogs and news feeds to subscribe to One blog I enjoyed was Distant Librarian . I think it was the one which led me to an article called "33 Reasons Why Libraries And Librarians Are Still Extremely Important". It was reassuring!

Having grown up in the newspaper era and having worked at a television as well as a radio station in my past life, I tend to want to get my news that way. But I will keep an open mind about RSS feeds and blogs. The RSS feeds hold more promise, I think, as sorting out blogs can be time consuming. Many of them seem to be quite subjective. Others are really websites in disguise. Technorati seemed cumbersome, but perhaps I was not using it correctly. I did go to the advanced search for all the subjects I was looking for.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

You might find that RSS is a good way to keep up professionally if not personally. Current trends in libraries are being blogged about all the time and are pretty easy to find.