Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week 8

I looked at both Zoho Writer and Google Docs. I created an account in Zoho Writer and created a sample document. When I tried to send it to my blog I did not succeed. So I sent it to Word and saved it in My Documents. I did not do a fancy document but did check out the editing aids. It is much like Word.

The abillity of these web-based aplications to eliminate the need to wory about different software versions or file types when emailing or moving documents from PC to PC is great. It will allow people doing a group project lots of latitude, particularly the ability of different users to edit the same file.

When I looked at the Web 2.0 awards list I found a neat publishing tool --LULU. It allows you to upload your material to the site. You then choose your format and LULU does the rest for what seems to me like a modest fee. Many people use it to create calendars using photographs they have. I think it would be an inexpensive way to publish a family history or other small book of interest to a limited audience. I am thinking of using it for a complilation of my mother's recipes. I want to give it to her children (myself and two sisters) and our children, grandchildren, cousins, nephews and nieces. Not a large audience but enough to justify the expense. You can also use it for nonprint material.

No comments: